Thursday, October 17, 2013

3 Years

It was 3 years ago today that I received the phone call that changed our lives forever.

After visiting my dad in ICU and dropping my mom back off at home I received a phone call that she had suddenly died at home, in the front yard actually.

We always thought that she felt a sharp pain (her cause of death was sepsis from a UTI and heart disease) and tried to run to the neighbor's house for help.  The neighbor's grandson was the one who found her but she had already died.  She seemed fine (besides being worried about dad) when I dropped her off.  She didn't even know she had a UTI.

It's hard to believe still some days that she's gone.  She was such a huge part of my life.  She was no independent at all, I drove her to doctor's appointments, I made her appointments, I paid for things for her, we went shopping together, she came to visit every week, I talked to her on the phone every single day.  It's been weird these last 3 years without her.


But I did want to do something different this year.  I'm not going with my original idea of doing anything related to homeless this year.  Instead on my Facebook I'm going to ask people who met her to post a comment to my status about something they remember about my mom, a quick story even if it's good/bad/funny/sad.  I want to start doing this every year to collect for the girls so that they can read about their grandmother, not just from my point of view but from other people too.

I always remember my mom matching her jewelry to her outfits.  She had 100s of pairs of earrings, tons of necklaces and bracelets.  She also liked to make her own bracelets.  I love this because both the girls have started asking that I change their earrings almost everyday to match their outfits!!  Even Annabel points out which pair she wants to wear!  Annika also really likes making bracelets and wearing them too.


1 comment:

  1. That is a beautiful way to remember your mom. I know that someday the girls will appreciate it very much.

    ReplyDelete