Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Thankful Day 13

Today I am thankful that we canceled our cable.

I honestly can't remember when we canceled our cable.  I think it was back in May??  It was a $50 bill that we just didn't need to pay anymore.  Neither one of us were watching anything on TV between not being home and just plain not having the time to watch anything.  Annika only likes to watch certain shows (Curious George, Angelina Ballerina and Wonder Pets) and we couldn't even find TV channels with the shows she watches.  Instead I looked into streaming Netflix on our Blu Ray player and realized that we could just do that instead of wasting money on cable TV that sometimes we wouldn't want for 2 or 3 weeks at a time.

Plus it's nicer on the weekends to spend time together talking or playing instead of around the TV.  People spent way too much time hooked on TV shows.  So while most of my friends on Facebook have status updates about the latest episodes of their favorite TV shows I honestly don't even know what any of them are about.  And you know what?  I don't even care :-)

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree! My husband does watch TV and we do like sports, but I have no idea about any of these TV shows that people watch. Alex is 26 months and he just watched Mickey Mouse Clubhouse for the first time a couple weeks ago. I'm trying to limit his exposure, but I find I can do a lot better at limiting his time if he watches the shows on the computer, b/c it's one show and done... no the ongoing TV madness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I wish we could do that!!! I watch just a little tv, mostly in the evenings after the girls are in bed. I really only like home decorating type shows. Karina watches some PBS kids shows, but the person who watches the most tv is my husband. He is absolutely addicted. If it's not tv, it's radio, xm radio, something he's streaming on the computer, or more often than not, all of the above. At the same time, and I am not kidding. He watches 2 tvs at once. I will come home and find every tv downstairs on, every radio in every room he's been in for 5 seconds on. When he walks in a room, the first thing he does is turn something on. He will even put the sound on both tvs. Oh, and we have 7 tvs in our home (5 working now since we switched our cable provider and the boxes were too expensive). We got selected to do one of those Nielsen rating journals, and the lady was absolutely shocked when she asked me how many tvs were in our house being watched. It's insane. I hate it. He watches tv from the second he wakes up until he falls asleep. If I'm not around, he will leave it on all night or put on a radio. It's just so awful, it makes me wish we could do away with all of it--every single electronic outlet in our home--just to get him to quit it. You are so lucky that you don't have to deal with that.

    ReplyDelete