Sunday, January 15, 2012

Pronouncing Names

I've been asked a few times how we're pronouncing Annabel's name. Nope, it was not smart of us to name our girls with names beginning with "Ann" and then expecting people to say them differently.

Annika is On-i-ka. The "A" sounds like an "O" since that's the Swedish way to say it.

Annabel is Ann-a-bel, the way it's supposed to be said.

Josh can't keep them straight, he's calling Annika On-a-bel and calling Annabel On-i-ka and occasionally he'll get all of our names right, even me, he's called me Annika twice this weekend.

I'd just like to say that we're sort of lazy and we never made it past the "Ann" names in the baby name book.

Also these girls are getting off easy with an easy last name. My maiden last name was this (no relation) and trying to tell people how to say it and spell it (ours was spelled with two "ss" before the "on") was HORRIBLE! So if these girls have to correct people on their first names it's fine with me! PLUS, people calling me ChristinE instead of ChristinA has always driven me nuts too!

No comments:

Post a Comment